- Reuschke D. (2016) The Importance of Housing for Self-Employment. Economic Geography . Open access: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00130095.2016.1178568
This paper provides a new perspective on the role of housing in economic geography and thus advances knowledge of the interrelationship between housing and economic systems. It shows, for the first time, how people’s housing choices are shaping their decision to become self-employed and that home-based self-employment has distinct features. Different mechanisms how housing can influence people’s self-employment decisions are theoretically derived and tested using longitudinal microdata for the UK. In particular, and advancing existing empirical studies, it controls for endogeneity of housing to self-employment using a novel technique from health research.
- Reuschke D. and Houston, D. (2016) The importance of housing and neighbourhood resources for urban microbusinesses. European Planning Studies 24:6, 1216-1235. Open access: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/09654313.2016.1168364
This paper makes two novel contributions to economic geography and planning. First, it studies microbusinesses (those employing less than ten staff) including those that are based in the owner’s home which have been ignored in developed country contexts. Second, it links hitherto disconnected literatures in economic geography/ management and urban/neighbourhood studies and develops a concept of local resources for microbusinesses. It explores empirically the relevance of local resources for microbusinesses over the business cycle which have been overlooked in existing literatures. It uses a random sample of microbusinesses that includes informal (hidden) businesses. It enhances the dataset through data linkage with small-area census data.
- Reuschke, D. (2016) Changes in the geographies of work and home. Regions 300, pp. 6-9 http://rsa.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13673882.2015.11668687
- Presentation at the Leibniz Institute of Ecological Urban and Regional Development (IOER) on 23rd November 2015, Dresden
- Presentation at the Centre for Regional Economic Development (CRED) at the University of Cumbria, Carlisle, on 24th February 2016
- Presentation on Home-based business, Housing and Economic Development at LISER, Luxembourg, on 2nd November 2016.
- Presentation on Home-based Business and Economic Development at the European Urban and Regional Studies Conference, in Crete, on 15th September 2016.